Monday, June 21, 2010

Simple Sweetcorn Cakes with Avocado Salsa

Recently, I dug up a book Bill's Open Kitchen from my study. Having watched several of Bill Granger's cooking programmes I wanted to try out some of the dishes in this book. Flipping through the page, this recipe of sweetcorn cakes really caught my eye. It was different from the usual pasta and meat... Thus one fine day I decided to try this recipe! It was pretty yummy but the coriander flavour was a little strong for my liking. Nevertheless, it was fun making the cakes and eating it..I added some greens to the dish and it made it even more tasty~
Heres the recipe!
 
Simple Sweetcorn Cakes with Avocado Salsa from Bill's Open Kitchen
 Makes 12

Ingredients for cakes:
525g (2 2/3 cups) fresh corn kernels
1 small red onion, chopped
2 eggs
15g (1/2 cup) chopped coriander leaves
125g (1 cup) all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
sea salt 
freshly ground black pepper
vegetable oil, for frying

*1.Preheat oven to 120 C/250 F. 
2. Place 2 cups of the corn kernels and onion, eggs, coriander,flour, baking powder and suitable amounts of salt and pepper in a food processor and process until combined.

3. Place in a large bowl, add remaining corn and stir to combine

4. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium to high heat. When the oil is hot, drop 2 heaped table spoons of mixture per sweetcorncake into the pan and cook in batches of 3 for 1 minute each side. 
*5. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in oven while you are making rest of the cakes. Serve with the avocado salsa

Ingredients for Avocado Salsa:
2 ripe acovadoes, diced
15g (1/2 cup) coriander leaves
2 tbsp lime or lemon  juice
2 tbsp finely chopped spring onions
A dash of Tabasco sauce (optional)
sea salt
ground black pepper

Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir very gently to combine

*note: I did not preheat the oven as I did not feel that the cakes would be cold that fast since my kitchen was rather heated due to the cooking. You could skip this step if you are not so particular about the temperature I guess! 



No comments:

Post a Comment